Grip tape is an essential component of a skateboard, providing traction and grip to the rider’s feet. However, over time, the grip tape may need to be removed and replaced with a new one. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as the tape becoming worn out, the need to customize the board, or simply because you want a change.
In this article, we will discuss the step-by-step process of removing grip tape from a skateboard and provide tips to make the task easier and efficient. Whether you are a seasoned skateboarder or a beginner, this guide will help you remove grip tape from your skateboard with ease.
Preparing To Remove The Grip Tape
Before removing the grip tape, it is important to gather the necessary tools and materials. Here is a list of what you will need:
- A hair dryer
- A razor blade
- A small scraper or putty knife
- A cloth or rag
- A spray bottle
- WD-40 or a similar solvent
The first step in removing grip tape is to heat up the surface of the tape using a hair dryer. This will make it easier to remove the tape and prevent damage to the deck. Hold the hair dryer about 4 to 6 inches away from the surface of the tape and heat for about 5 minutes.
Removing The Grip Tape
Once the surface of the tape is heated, you can start removing it. Here are the steps:
- Use a razor blade to score the surface of the tape. This will make it easier to peel the tape off.
- Use a small scraper or putty knife to gently peel the tape off the deck. Start from one corner and work your way around the board. If the tape is not coming off easily, use the hair dryer to heat the surface again.
- If you come across any stubborn pieces of tape that won’t come off, spray them with WD-40 or a similar solvent. Let it sit for a few minutes to loosen the tape, then scrape it off.
- Once all the tape has been removed, use a cloth or rag to clean the deck. Make sure to remove any residue from the tape and solvent.
Installing The New Grip Tape
Now that the old grip tape has been removed, it’s time to install the new one. Here’s how to do it:
- Clean the surface of the deck with a cloth or rag to make sure there is no residue from the old tape.
- Measure the size of the deck and cut the new grip tape to size. Leave about 1/8 inch of overhang on all sides.
- Peel the backing off the tape and carefully place it onto the deck. Start from one end and work your way to the other, smoothing out any bubbles as you go.
- Use a razor blade to trim off the excess tape from the edges.
- Finally, use the hair dryer to heat up the surface of the tape for about 5 minutes. This will help the tape to adhere to the deck and prevent it from lifting.
In conclusion, removing grip tape from a skateboard is not a difficult task. With the right tools and materials, you can easily remove the old tape and install the new one in no time. Whether you are replacing a worn-out grip tape or simply want to change the look of your skateboard, following these steps will ensure that the process goes smoothly and efficiently. So, what are you waiting for? Get started today and enjoy a fresh, new grip on your skateboard!